Search This Blog

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Iterative methods and impending semester end...

The worst second worst possible thing for a student trying to complete a project depending on iterative, software-intensive methods has happened to me: a computer virus followed by an illustrative lesson paralleling why HIV and other STI's follow each other around.

Basically, I fell for a virus (ThinkPoint) that played off of my efforts to avoid infections by spoofing me with a pop-up looking exactly like a Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) pop-up.  After having a hell of a time getting back on-line and avoiding the lovely re-directs away from informative sites--have to admire the bastard that developed it--by way of abusing MEGA's browser capabilities and incapacities, I was able to get rid of the virus. 

To be sure it wasn't also a corrupt MSE, I uninstalled it planning on reinstalling it immediately.  So, I restarted my PC, opened Internet Explorer, the MSE pop-up came up, and--even though I rationally knew I had uninstalled MSE--I clicked it...

ThinkPoint took 5 minutes to clean the second time, the only problem is that it brought friends the second time and I'm still trying to clean them out using several pieces of software that don't all seem to catch all of them but are highly recommended.  I still know SOMETHING is there because something kills Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool as it pops up.

That and everytime I try to run a *.jar file, the window pops up with an error that Java Virtual Machine Loader can't start virtual machine.

So, this means I get to do some of my work on the school's PC's which--frankly--are slower than hell.  Which wouldn't hurt for some basic tasks--like internet--but when you REALLY want to run a BEAST run of several million cycles or even just a lowly jModelTest run, it takes forever.

I swear, if/when I get a real job, I'm buying two computers exactly alike just to have a spare...

No comments:

Post a Comment